After large amounts of weight loss, there can still be a significant amount of excess skin in the face, arms, abdomen, breasts, or lower body. This excess skin can be readily treated with a number of procedures that allow patients to participate in life in a more fulfilling way and let go of their past.
Dr Cope can remove the excess skin while leaving scars hidden mostly in natural creases. He offers a wide range of post weight loss surgery procedures such as facelift, breast lift, upper arm lift, medial thigh lift, buttock lift, and lower body lift.
*Note results may vary from person to person
The ideal candidate
During your consultation, we will conduct a detailed health assessment to determine if you will benefit from surgery. In general, you are an ideal candidate for post weight loss surgery if you have:
- A significant amount of excess skin due to dramatic weight loss that does not respond well to diet and exercise
- A stable weight
- Good physical and mental health
- Realistic expectations and a positive outlook
- Sagging skin in different parts of your body
Post weight loss surgery cost
Every patient has a unique treatment plan. This means that the costs of after weight loss surgery may vary. In general, the total costs will depend on the following factors:
- Anaesthetist’s fee
- Surgeon’s fee
- The cost of anaesthesia, medical tests, medications, and post-surgery garments
- The extent of the surgery
- The number of surgeries needed to achieve your desired results
- The size and number of body area/s
- Your skin condition
To get an idea of the total costs of your post weight loss surgery, we will provide you with an accurate estimate during your initial consultation.
Preparations for the surgery
Before your post weight loss surgery with Dr Cope in our Sydney clinic, you should:
- Avoid alcoholic beverages.
- Begin an exercise routine.
- Inform your surgeon of any supplements or medication you are taking.
- Stop smoking for a minimum of 6 weeks.
Generally, you may experience swelling, redness, or bruising at the incision sites. Depending on the type of your after weight loss surgery, you may need to wear compression garments. In some cases, surgical drains are attached to the incision sites to remove excess fluid or blood. Our Sydney Specialist Plastic Surgeon Dr Charles Cope will give you a detailed explanation of what to expect from your post weight loss surgery.
Frequently Asked Questions
During your initial consultation, we will assess your skin condition and desired results. This allows us to create a customised treatment plan that will best suit your body type and goals. For best post weight loss surgery results, you may need to have more than one procedure. In most cases, two or more procedures can be performed at once.
Our highly experienced surgeon will ensure that every effort will be made to deliver natural and discreet results. In order to do this, one of the best Sydney plastic surgeons Dr Charles Cope ensures that the incisions are hidden mostly in natural creases of the skin. Although the surgical incisions are permanent, your scars will lighten over time.
The recovery time may vary from patient to patient. Depending on the extent of your post weight loss surgery, you can return to work and daily activities in one to two weeks after arm or breast surgery, and four to six weeks after tummy tucks, lower body and thigh surgery. Our surgeon will give you a timeline of the recovery process after your procedure.
After your post weight loss surgery, you will need to follow specific instructions from your surgeon to get the results you want and prevent complications. These include:
- Arrange for someone to help you with house chores.
- Avoid any activities that require heavy lifting.
- Avoid contact sports and other strenuous activities.
- Clean the incision site and change dressings regularly.
- Report any unusual signs and symptoms.
- Use pillows to reduce tension on your incision lines.
- Wear compression garments religiously.
This will depend on the extent of your surgery and how you care for the operated area. The results of after weight loss surgery are usually permanent and long-lasting. However, it is important to keep in mind that pregnancy or significant weight gain can affect the results of the surgery. Therefore, it is important that you should commit to a healthy lifestyle.