Also known as a belt lipectomy, body lift surgery removes large skin folds from your abdomen, hips, thighs, and buttocks. It also tightens the loose skin on these areas to achieve a better body contour. A lower body lift is ideal if you have excess skin due to ageing, pregnancy, or massive weight loss.
During a body lift, Dr Cope combines abdominoplasty, medial thigh lift, lateral thigh lift and buttock lift to remove the loose skin that remains after weight loss on the abdomen, flanks, buttocks, and thighs. To create a smooth and svelte silhouette, this group of surgical procedures is also performed together with liposuction.
*The lower body lift is a long operation under general anaesthetic (often taking 8 hours), with a hospital stay of five to seven days. There is a prolonged recovery time, with most patients taking four to six weeks off work. This procedure produces a dramatic and life-changing improvement in body contour.
*Note results may vary from person to person
Benefits of a body lift surgery
This procedure can give you the following benefits:
- Allows you to engage in daily activities without experiencing physical discomforts.
- Allows you to wear a wider variety of clothing.
- Improves your body contour.
- Improves your personal hygiene.
- Increases your self-confidence.
The ideal candidate
Dr Cope will assess your general health to determine if you are eligible for a body lift surgery. In general, you are an ideal candidate for the procedure if:
- You have lost 30 to 50 percent of your peak weight.
- You have excess or drooping skin around your abdomen, thighs, or buttocks.
- You have a stable weight.
- You have realistic expectations.
- You have good physical and mental health.
- You have no allergy to the anaesthesia.
- You are experiencing skin irritation due to excess or loose skin.
- You don’t have plans on getting pregnant after your surgery.
- You are willing to commit to a healthy lifestyle after your surgery.
- You are not a smoker.
How much does a body lift cost in Sydney?
The cost of a body lift may vary from patient to patient. Some factors may affect the cost of your surgery such as:
- Surgeon’s fee
- Hospital fee
- Anaesthetist’s fee
- The extent of the surgery
- Number of surgical procedures
- Other costs such as medical tests, prescribed medications, and post-surgery garments
If this procedure is performed following significant weight loss, you may attract a Medicare number, in which case some of your costs may be covered by private health insurance.
During your initial consultation, we will provide you with a detailed breakdown of the total costs of your body lift surgery.
Frequently Asked Questions
To ensure optimal results, you should:
- Achieve a stable weight.
- Arrange for someone to assist you with your daily activities.
- Avoid taking medications that can increase your risk of bruising or bleeding.
- Prepare a recovery area at home.
- Stay fit as possible.
- Stop smoking for at least 6 weeks prior to the surgery.
Potential risks and complications associated with the procedure include the following:
- Allergic reaction to the anaesthesia
- Blood clots
- Changes in skin sensation
- Delayed wound healing
- Fluid build-up in the incision sites
- Unfavourable scarring
This will depend on several factors such as the extent of the surgery, the number of procedures performed, and your healing ability. In general, it may take up to three months for the final results to appear.
The results of the procedure are long-lasting. Without a dramatic change in weight, the effects can last for years. To maintain the results, you need to commit to a healthy lifestyle. Ageing and pregnancy can also affect the results of the procedure. You may need another surgery in the future if skin sagging or looseness starts to reappear.
Yes, scarring can occur after the procedure. It takes several months or even years before the scars lighten. To reduce their visibility, the incisions are created in the natural folds of your skin.
Yes, combining several procedures can help save time and discomfort. Dr Cope will create a comprehensive, personalised treatment plan specific to your needs during your consultation.
Swelling can develop as a part of your body’s natural healing response. Depending on the extent of your surgery, it can last for a few months. Once the swelling has disappeared completely, your final results will become noticeable. Make sure to always wear your compression garments to speed up your recovery.